Midland Aircraft Recovery Group
The projects aim to
re-create the most significant military aircraft to
have been used in
Midlands. Cockpits, fuselages or complete airframes
to show the environment that each crew member worked
in and the
at their disposal. The final exhibits will help to put
the crash site
into context and will commemorate the bravery of the
men who flew the
The project aircraft are all very rare and were
difficult to find.
Parts and equipment are still being found for all of
them and any help
will be appreciated.
Wellington Mk IV - Z1206
|This bomber was
found buried in a beach on the Isle of Lewis
and salvaged in 2002 - the culmination of 5
years of work and planning.
It is the sole surviving Mk IV - the fastest
of all the Wellingtons,
with Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp engines.
Built at Chester (Hawarden)
in 1941, Z1206 flew 14 operational sorties
with 142 (City of Worcester)
Squadron. Coded QT-F (F for Freddie), it was
based at Binbrook and
Waltham (Grimsby) in Lincolnshire. Its operational
history is being researched and we
welcome contact from the families of the men
of 142 Squadron. There are very
few photographs of the Wellington IVs of 142
Squadron and we'd like to
hear from anyone who has seen any. The
history of 142 Squadron
will be added to the website and the
squadron's Wellington losses are
By 1943, Z1206 was with 104 Operational
Training Unit at Nutts Corner,
Northern Ireland. Its history as a trainer is
being researched and we
welcome contact from families of the men
of 104 OTU. On 26th January
1944, Z1206 was ditched at Uig Bay, Isle of
Lewis. It was washed up
onto the sand and then lay buried for over 50
years. There are no known
photographs of the Wellingtons
of 104 OTU and we'd like to hear from anyone
who has seen any.
The front fuselage of the Wellington is being
conserved and will be
rebuilt for display. Some parts and original
equipment are still
needed, especially a few instruments, crew seats, control
column top and yoke and an astrodome (see
the help page).
Airspeed Oxford Mk I - AT605
built Oxford I was salvaged in Canada in 1994.
It is now believed to be
AT605, built in England in 1941 and shipped to
where it joined 36 Service Flying Training
School at Penhold, Alberta.
was an RAF unit, part of the Commonwealth Air Training
Plan. From October 1941
until May 1943 it was a standard multi-engine
pilot trainer. Hundreds
of pupils learnt their trade in her and most
moved on to Bomber
Command. It became time-expired and was
refurbished at Aircraft Repair
Ltd in Edmonton before returning to Penhold.
By autumn 1943 a beam
approach flight was forming and AT605 was
fitted with SBA equipment.
Still with 36 SFTS, it flew in this
configuration until the unit closed
in October 1944, when it was flown to Swift
Current for storage and
disposal. Its flight history is being
researched and we welcome contact
from the families of the men
36 SFTS. We are particularly keen to
copy photographs and log
books relevant to 36 SFTS Penhold.
The entire wooden airframe of the Oxford is
due to be rebuilt.
The Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust has expertly
restored the first engine
for the Oxford, at Ansty. This is now on
loan to the Wartime
Aircraft Recovery Group and can be seen displayed
in the group's museum at Sleap in Shropshire.
built at Baginton, Coventry and a specialised
Training Unit flew them in Warwickshire and
Worcestershire from 1942 to
1944. No complete examples survive. The centre
Midlands-based BD232 was recovered from a
mountain in Snowdonia in the
1980s. More recently, a wing, centre section
and fragments of nose from
N1498 were salvaged from a mountain near
Inverness. We don't yet have
enough structure to start
a rebuild project, but components are being
acquired and the goal is to
rebuild a nose section. Most parts and
original equipment are still needed,
especially parts of the front turret,
some instruments, seats, control columns and yokes,
rudder pedals and
throttle box (see the
The centre section from BD232 and the port
wing from EB384, which was
salvaged from Glen Esk in Scotland, are now on
loan to the Wartime
Aircraft Recovery Group. They can be
seen displayed in the
group's museum at Sleap in Shropshire.
and Honiley airfields in Warwickshire had various
squadrons and other units. We have a long-term goal to
Hurricane to Warwickshire, especially as 605
(County of Warwick)
Squadron last flew Hurricanes there before going to
the Far East. We
don't yet have a Hurricane airframe, but we have the
engine from a 605
Squadron Hurricane and a significant collection of airframe parts.
We are looking for a canopy, tail wheel assembly, throttle box and engine panels.
Watch this space...
Avro 504 - H6601
at Castle Bromwich and Lilbourne in Warwickshire used large numbers of Avro 504s
in the First World War. The Avro 504J was the most numerous variant here. We were
lucky to acquire the original makers plate from H6601, which was built by The Humber Motor Company
in Coventry in 1918. It was sold to the Aircraft Disposal Company, registered G-EAZL and
sold to the Belgian Air Force in November 1921. It crashed on a test flight from Croydon
and its history thereafter is a mystery. We also have a Le Rhone 80hp rotary engine and a gravity fed fuel tank from a 504.
We need a lot more parts and access to drawings, so help will be appreciated...
Harvard - KF650
Harvard front cockpit was identified as KF650
from its frame number "14-2441" when it was
restored by Beech Restorations in May 2014.
plate shows it was built in January
1944. KF650 was in a batch built by
Noorduyn in Canada and delivered to the RAF
between June 1944 and June 1945. It flew with
2 Flying Training School at Church Lawford,
Warks in 1947 and 1948 before moving to 22
FTS. It was damaged beyond repair on 14
May 1954, when a wingtip hit the runway on
landing at Syerston, it skidded and
The cockpit is displayed at the
Sywell Aviation Museum.